• Sun. May 24th, 2026

24×7 Live News

Apdin News

White House Shooting: Who was Nasire Best? Maryland man who allegedly believed he was ‘Jesus Christ’ killed after gunfire near Donald Trump’s home

Byadmin

May 24, 2026


A shooting near the security perimeter of the White House on Saturday evening left the suspected gunman dead, injured a bystander and triggered panic among tourists and journalists gathered near the complex. Officials said the shooting happened shortly after 6 pm local time near a checkpoint close to the White House grounds. According to the US Secret Service, the suspect allegedly pulled a firearm from a bag and opened fire toward officers guarding the area. Officers immediately returned fire, critically injuring the suspect. He later died at a hospital. Authorities also confirmed that a bystander suffered injuries during the exchange of gunfire. US President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time but was not harmed.

Who was Nasire Best White House shooting suspect?

Nasire Best, the 21-year-old Maryland man identified by US media as the suspect in the shooting near the White House security perimeter, was reportedly known to federal security agencies before the incident. According to reports, Best was allegedly “mentally troubled” and had repeatedly been seen loitering around security entry points near the White House complex. The New York Post reported that he had earlier violated a court order directing him to stay away from the area. Reports also said that on June 26, 2025, Best allegedly blocked vehicular traffic on 15th Street and was later involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility for treatment. Less than two weeks later, on July 10, 2025, he was arrested again after allegedly bypassing a restricted White House pedestrian checkpoint by entering through an exit turnstile lane. Investigators have not yet publicly established a motive behind the latest shooting incident.
Some reports also claimed Best believed he was “Jesus Christ” and had violated a court order directing him to stay away from the White House grounds.

White House shooting suspect reportedly had earlier encounters with Secret Service

Multiple US media outlets reported that Best had a history of mental health struggles and had previously come to the attention of federal security agencies.

According to Fox News, Best was detained by Secret Service officers on June 26, 2025, after allegedly approaching agents and making threats. The report also said he was detained again on July 10, 2025, for entering a restricted zone near the White House complex.

The New York Post, quoting sources, reported that Best was believed to be mentally troubled and allegedly thought he was “Jesus Christ.”

The publication further claimed he had violated a court order that directed him to stay away from the White House area.

BNO News also cited reports saying Best had attempted to enter the White House complex last year.

Authorities have not officially confirmed a motive behind the shooting and the investigation remains ongoing.

How the shooting unfolded near the White House

According to the Associated Press, the gunfire erupted near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, roughly a block from the White House.

Journalists stationed around the White House said they heard several gunshots before security personnel instructed them to immediately move into shelter inside the press briefing room.

The Secret Service later said the suspect approached a checkpoint, took a weapon out of a bag and began firing at officers positioned at the security perimeter. Officers responded with gunfire.

The Associated Press reported that investigators were still trying to determine whether the injured bystander was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or during the officers’ response.

Photographs from the area showed a large police presence, crime-scene tape, evidence markers and emergency medical equipment scattered outside the White House perimeter.

Tourists and journalists describe panic after White House gunfire

News agency AFP reported that confusion and fear spread quickly across the area as shots rang out near the White House.

Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told AFP he heard “probably 20 to 25″ noises that initially sounded like fireworks before he realised they were gunshots.

ABC News correspondent Selina Wang was reportedly recording a social media video on the White House grounds when the shooting began.

AFP also said journalists working on the White House North Lawn were ordered to run for cover and move into the briefing room during the exchange of fire.

Shooting renews focus on Trump security concerns

The latest incident has again raised concerns around security threats involving Trump.

The US president has faced several alleged assassination threats and security scares in recent months, including an alleged attempt linked to the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner in April and the 2024 shooting incident at a rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, where he suffered an ear injury.

Add ET Logo as a Reliable and Trusted News Source

By admin